Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Charles Mingus: The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady

Ladies and gentlemen, I must make a confession before I proceed any further. You see, although I profess myself to be a music aficionado, the fact is...I'm just not a huge fan of jazz.
I like it, don't get me wrong; it's just sort of like hearing poetry in another language. Yeah, on one level, I can appreciate it, but I don't totally "get" it. I don't know. Maybe you have to be an actual jazz musician to get it, or at least just have the ear of one.

With this said...there is one jazz album that I hold near and dear to my heart, and that is Charles Mingus' 1963 opus The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.

This is a tremendous album that makes me say, forget Davis, even Coltrane; Mingus brings something startling here. This album was apparently composed partially as a ballet, but with swirling cadences are juxtaposed the wails and shouts of a rioting crowd. Or it might as well be one. On the second track, "Duet Solo Dancers", this contrast is best illustrated by...hold on, is that a hardcore drumbeat I'm hearing?!

A lot of jazz these days is synonymous with background music. If you want music to play for your elevator, stay away from this album. You might singe your hand just touching it. But if you want to find out how raw and soulful jazz can be, check this album out. It might just blow your mind.

-The Anachronist

Videos of Track 1, "Solo Dancer", and Track 3, "Group Dancers" after the break.




3 comments:

  1. Hmm very interesting stuff. Nice analogy on your perception of jazz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try this out tomorrow...........Nice to see you here Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surprising, I must say. More tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete