Sunday, February 13, 2011

Hi, how are you?

Listen: Billy Pilgrim has become unstuck in time.
 -Slaughterhouse-Five

This is my flagship post, and the beginning of what will be a strange and hopefully worthwhile journey through modern musical history. With me, a young and self-professed music nerd, as your guide, genres and sub-genres of music will be explored (but not overly genre-fied, don't worry).

Since there are so many blogs on the Internet, I suppose I might as well justify the existence of this one.

As a relatively introverted, socially awkward kid growing up in suburban Denver, in good times and bad, I found solace in music. I have loved music from a very young age onward, and this love has stood with me today. What made much of the music I liked different from that my peers liked was that my music wasn't necessarily new.

Hence, I am "The Anachronist".

The older I got, the more my musical tastes skewed away from the mainstream, and away from the present day. I understand that to an extent there is a desire to stay "current" with pop culture, music included. But, at the same time, I figured, when there is so much good music out there (and I don't just mean "classic rock") from the past, why bother with the mediocre stuff we get as the "flavor of the month"?

Not to say there is no good music out now. But let's use common sense here. Will it be easier to find good music looking in the past month, or in the past 40 years?

The answer, for me, is quite simple.

The reason this blog exists, then, is to introduce you, dear reader, to music that isn't necessarily from this year, or even this decade, but that would, IMHO, qualify as good music nonetheless. Hopefully, you will react the same way to this music that I did to the music I listened to when I was growing up.

That's about all I have to say. But before I close, I should put down a few more of my biases and other limitations just so we're on the same page.

-I have a personal preference for alternative rock, specifically punk and post-punk in general.
-My favorite music comes from the 1980s and 1990s.
-My knowledge of music pre-1970 is somewhat hazy. (Sorry, Tin Pan Alley.)
-I just do not like screamo. I like plenty of music with screaming. What I don't like is xXCRABCOREXx, Devil Wears Prada-type stuff. (No apology for you, Hot Topic.)
-My knowledge of country music is also somewhat limited. I don't hate country, I just don't know much about it. I will try to change this.

And that about wraps it up. I will try to update weekly, as time may permit; I am, after all, a college/university student with many other priorities.

MUSIC LOVERS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!

-The Anachronist

(image from Wikimedia Commons: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c4/Hi%2CHowAreYou_21st%26Guadalupe.jpg)

No comments:

Post a Comment