Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Moss: Sub Templum

Hey all,
I've been a little down lately. Perhaps it's for that reason that I haven't been updating as often as I said I would.
Regardless, I have an album for you that has been getting me through these tough first-world white boy problems.*
It's by a little doom metal band called Moss, from Southampton, England.
Just a little disclaimer: this is some HEAVY material. So heavy, in fact, that it lends itself to feeling heavy and lethargic when you listen to it. Paradoxically, listening to it has somewhat expunged the heaviness I've felt in my heart.
But that's just me.
It's hard to write about this album, primarily because so much of it is not based on melody, but on raw feeling.
With that said, "Subterraen" does have a pretty cool riff, when you catch on to it. Especially the little bit where the same chord is played twice, but the second time with feedback.
This album is not for everyone. If the idea of twenty-odd minute songs with almost no semblance of melody or commercial appeal does not sound like your cup of tea, it probably isn't. But for the exceptionally open-minded, I present a cup of a dark, robust brew.
For people who are any two of the three below:
  • advanced-level music listeners**
  • people struggling with their own personal demons
  • stoners
Enjoy, if you dare...

-The Anachronist

Video for Subterraen, and footnotes after the break.

*If you're not aware that these websites exist:
http://whitewhine.com/
http://firstworldprobs.com/

**At least Lv. 60 Paladin or equivalent. In other words, you either have an album by G.G. Allin, the No New York compilation, the debut album of the 13th Floor Elevators, or if you even know what I'm talking about right now.


1 comment: